What Auto Insurance Coverage Should a New Driver Get?
As a new driver in New Jersey, it is essential to understand the auto insurance coverage options available to protect yourself, your vehicle and others on the road. New Jersey has specific insurance requirements, and selecting the right coverage can help protect your financial security.
Contact Upix Agency in Elizabeth, New Jersey, for a personalized car insurance quote.
New Jersey Auto Insurance
Most New Jersey drivers must maintain minimum amounts of auto insurance, including the following:
- Liability insurance coverage may help pay third-party claims for bodily injury and property damage up to the policy’s dollar limits. Your agent may recommend purchasing more than the minimum required amount of auto liability coverage.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage may help cover medical expenses, lost wages and essential services resulting from an accident, regardless of who is at fault. Considering the high cost of medical treatment, opting for higher PIP limits can offer greater financial protection.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage may help provide financial protection if you are involved in an accident with a driver without insurance or inadequate coverage. It may help cover medical expenses, lost wages and other damages.
The following auto insurance coverages may be optional in New Jersey:
- Collision coverage may be required if you finance or lease a vehicle. Collision coverage may help cover repairing or replacing your vehicle, minus the deductible.
- Comprehensive coverage may also be required if you finance or lease a vehicle. It may help cover repair or replacement costs for your vehicle after noncollision incidents such as theft, vandalism, fire, falling objects and natural disasters. Like collision coverage, comprehensive coverage is subject to a deductible.
- Guaranteed asset protection (GAP) insurance may be required by your lienholder if you have a financed or leased vehicle. This policy is designed to help pay off your vehicle if the insurer’s settlement falls short after a covered accident or incident rendering your vehicle a total loss.
New Jersey drivers may want to consider additional coverage options to enhance their auto insurance policy, including the following:
- Rental car reimbursement
- Roadside assistance
- Custom parts and equipment coverage
- Auto glass coverage
How to Get Low Auto Insurance Rates
As a new driver, you may be concerned about the potential costs of getting appropriate insurance coverage. The agents at Upix Agency specialize in helping drivers get the coverage they need at a favorable rate. Contact us today to start comparing car insurance quotes.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.
Categories: Auto Insurance